14 Sept 2009

Not feeling it-


I thought turning 27 would be a momentous occasion!

I mean, it's 27!!! 3 years to the big 3-0!!!

Turns out- not as momentous. In fact, i still feel 25. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, specially when people think I have turned 25!
I have a theory- between the years of 25 & 29- it's all the same. Whether you are 26 0r 29, you still feel 25! Of course i might not agree with my own theory 4 months from now- but i firmly believe in it! You may not believe the theory- but don't you think it's true?

Birthdays always get me very melancholic- they're supposed to be happy occasions- with lots of laughter and love and good spirits floating around- it's all there- but i seem to slip into this melancholy that i can't shake of till my birthday is well and truly over!

This birthday was no different- the melancholy set in a week before the actual day!
After much deliberation and a push in the right direction from Nazi and Shubh- a plan was hatched for the big day!
I seem to be wanting to do more and more un-birthday like things on the day for the past couple of years.
This year was no different- i really wanted to spend the day on a beach somewhere or by a pool- again Nazi and Shubh came up with different options and combinations and permutations of things we could do- i was of course being my un-decisive best!
It was finally settled- an evening at the Dome- drinks at Sunset!

The BIG day dawned- it was beautiful and the sun was at it's shining best!
Not for long though- the rain clouds rolled in, and it POURED and POURED and POURED!!! Ironic, considering how much i hate the rains!
I was being my pessimistic best for once and thinking the worst- i'd be flooded in- and would have to stay home! It was depressing enough that it was my birthday- and now it was raining!!! Couldn't get any better could it?!!

But as the afternoon wore on- the rain clouds rolled out, the sun started to look out from behind the clouds, and as we drove south- it looked like we had a stunning sunset to look forward to!

It turned out to be an incredible sunset!
They're always so magical! I felt at peace with myself and the universe for those few minutes!
The rest of the evening turned out to be a quiet, intimate, rather special affair- just as i was hoping it would be. I had all my favourite people there, all the people i care a about, all the people who matter and who i love. A few were missing- but they were there in spirit!!!
It was comforting to be under a dark, blue Bombay sky with the gang! It's so difficult to get everyone together in one place now, what with hectic lives and schedules- this was... pretty incredible!
With all the love and joy and good spirits flowing all around- my sentimental side reared it's head. I was close to howling every time someone said something nice to me or gave me a hug, or even smiled!
Birthdays are strange! I don't know how people cope with them? They baffle me and i seem to find myself struggling with all sorts of emotions on the day!


Birthdays were so easy when we were young.
You go to school in the morning- give your class and your teachers chocolates, they sing for you!
In the evening, your entire class and a few other friends come home, you play a few games, be silly, eat some mini pizzas, lettered biscuits, millionaire short bread and many other goodies made lovingly by your grandmother, mother, aunts, cooks...you cut your delicious chocolate cake (again made lovingly by my grandmother), everyone sings for you again, you may play a few other silly games and then everyone leaves. Only your closest friends stay behind and help you unwrap presents (which is the best part really!!!).
The parents would have started their own party in the meantime. And most years, Dad would pop open a bottle of Champagne (I'd want the pink one!would even get it if i was lucky!) and all us kids (the ones remaining and my Brother) would get a tiny glass each!
That actually, was the highlight of most of my birthdays- the after party with my best friends and family! Everyone unwinding and soaking in the quiet after the chaos that had ensued in the evening! Some oldies playing on the turn table- people lounging around and the parents saying 'no more birthday parties now'!!! Some good times and very special memories!

I'm hoping Birthdays go back to being simple, easy affairs! Silly games, chocolate cake and bubbly!!!
To all my darlings who were there on that balmy Bombay evening- Thank You! It really meant a lot to me, that all of you were there!

I'm not complaining about not feeling 27, but hopefully next year i'll feel 28!!!

a
xxx











2 comments:

Shubhangi said...

hey Anya,
I just found this blog. I'm totally up for simple birthdays that involve chocolate cake, champagne and lazing around. also chhole bhature, samosa, mini pizzas and all the other strange snacks we would get only in birthday parties. god i love those! ok im getting hungry now.
so long as u feel like 'anya' dont bother with the age. i just hope u get to argentina by your 30th birthday, if not on it.
love ya! missing u all so much, esp during pilates.

Shubhangi said...

hey Anya,
I just found this blog. I'm totally up for simple birthdays that involve chocolate cake, champagne and lazing around. also chhole bhature, samosa, mini pizzas and all the other strange snacks we would get only in birthday parties. god i love those! ok im getting hungry now.
so long as u feel like 'anya' dont bother with the age. i just hope u get to argentina by your 30th birthday, if not on it.
love ya! missing u all so much, esp during pilates.