25 Jan 2013

All things BsAs!


I just met the LOVELIEST cab driver in the world!!!
He must have been in his late 70's, wore really thick glasses, and I had to speak very loudly for him to hear me, but we managed to hold a conversation in Spanish with no problems!!! He's of Czech origin, had a daughter who is a gynecologist, and his brother is a software engineer (How I understood all this, is a miracle). He can say thank you in 15 languages including Hindi - well arabic/urdu really - Shukriya! And was thrilled I lived in Prague and could say thank you in Czech!!! I had such a great ride back home - we had such a sweet conversation - i can't stop smiling! :-)

It's been an interesting day -
We went to see the Mothers today - and im not quite sure what I thought of it all! It definitely was not what I was expecting - that's for sure!
There were 2 groups of mothers and families - one was very loud and more militant, and singing a song, seeking justice for their sons, and the other group was very quiet and was walking around without any slogan shouting or singing, just doing their thing -

The 2 groups walking around Plaza de Mayo

The Loud/Militant Group

The quieter group
Apparently there are many groups that are a part of may organization fighting the same cause, but only 2 groups were out today, coz a lot of people are away on vacation, and also it was 36ºc today!!!

They walk around the Plaza de Mayo and voice their one demand - justice for the children who were taken away, and their return!

I know the same thing happens in Istanbul as well. I haven't quite read up on the one there -but im sure it's a similar cause!.



We had class out of class today - all thanks to me, and wanting to go see the Mothers. My enitre class, and my teacher went to the Plaza, and after, since it was so hot, we went and got cold drinks and ice cream at a nearby Cafe, and had class there. Pablo made sure we only conversed in Spanish- and it was really good practice! 
I seem to understand what people are saying pretty well, but Im not able to respond, I have a very limited vocabulary, and Im struggling to reply appropriately, so i've decided I'll learn 10 new words everyday, and hopefully my speaking will get better soon!

After class, Sally, Maya, Rene and I went to MALBA (Museum of Modern Art, Latin America), and there were some great exhibitions on.  
There was an Oscar Muñoz photography exhibition on, and some of his work blew me away! Some were mixed mediums - film+photography, photography+charcoal on paper, mirrors with images in them, that you could only see when you blow your breath onto it! 
Great exhibit on the Art from the 20th century in Lat Am - and amongst them all, very inconspicuously placed was a self portrait by Frida Kahlo! :-) 
But the one that really blew me away was a film of a developing table, projected on a table top, with photographs placed on the table in the film), and a hand would come and pick up a picture (some were blank, some had images on them), and put it under a tap, so either the one that was blank would acquire an image, and the one that had an image, would go blank under the tap - it was so well done!!! WOW!!! 

Exhibit A - With an Image

Exhibit B - without an Image


Alejandro Xul Solar
Frida Kahlo
The space itself was lovely, with lots of light pouring through the all glass side facade, and high high high ceilings. It reminded me a bit of the Tate Modern, without the grey walls! 

I have found the one thing that has disappointed me in BsAs, and it's a big one (for me at least). The FOOD!!! Apart from the steaks, that are amazing - their food is very bland, and very blah! They eat empanadas, pizzas, sandwiches, and a lot of pastry type stuff - just not my thing! 
I ate at a Middle eastern place today - Sarkis, and the food was just a perfect way to end the day! The - im forgetting the original and english names!!!! But google to the rescue!!! The Babaganoush was delicious, the pita warm, and the Moussaka - so comforting!!!!
I have also found my new favourite drink, which is a really keeper, after the tinto verano - Campari y naranja!!! Yummmeeerrrrssss!!! Perfect for a hot day, any kind of day actually - and easily available world over! So yay!!! 

Sandra (the 67 year old ex Captain) and I are off to Rosario after school tomorrow. We're only going there for a day, back saturday night - but it will be a good one day break from BsAs. 
It's also my last weekend here - I leave next Sunday for San Telmo, so I want to hang out in the city and see as much of it as possible! I've got so attached in such a short time, and the weeks have just flown by - it's shocking!!! I cannot believe i've been here almost 3 weeks!!! 

One last image from the exhibition today - from the artist Jorge De La Vega - 

Puzzle



1 comment:

Anonymous said...


hola!

escribir bien. tu tiene la paciencia para escribir. Estoy disfrutando de la lectura!

Find a nice argentinian boy so that you can move to BA!!!
Tia