28 Jan 2013

It's not all Perfect!

It started of being such an amazing day, and then of course, the one thing everyone warns you off when you come to BsAs happened - Ester (the young American Girl I had befriended) got robbed!!!!
We had just had a lovely day wandering around San Telmo, and were feeling very happy with ourselves, coz we had got some great deals and bought some lovely presents, and we were walking towards a bus stop to go meet Sandra and eat at a parrilla. But we overshot the turn we were supposed to take for the bus, so we crossed to the other side of the road, and were a block away from the bus stop when we felt something very foul smelling drop on us from the top - we were under a tree and many AC's, so we thought a bird had done its business on us, but it couldn't have been on both of us, and within seconds of this happening, a couple (the guy had a map) came out from who knows where, and were like, oh no, you poor things, let us help you clean up (all in Spanish of course). And they had a water bottle and tissue ready and started wiping Ester's hand - I took out my own tissue and water bottle and started cleaning myself as well - and one was helping her and one was helping me - and a few seconds later, the guys said something to the woman, and they got into a cab that pulled up, with someone already in it, and pushed off -
So Ester and I cleaned up a little more and cursed the bird, coz it was some really foul smelling thing, and we started walking - not even half a block down, a lady said to us, that we should check our things, coz she thinks we may have been robbed -
So Ester and I immediately checked - I had everything - even my camera that was hung on the strap of my bag, but Esters wallet was gone!
Of course, we re-traced our steps in disbelief and looked again for the wallet - but no luck!
Poor thing was understandably upset and completely shaken up and crying - and I wish could have done something! But apart from trying to comfort here - there was nothing I could do.

I don't know what it is - but while this whole drama of the cleaning up was happening, I felt like there was something wrong - you sometimes get this sense that all is not right - and because of that feeling, I had my hand over my bag and very close to me through all this - there was no way they could have got into my bag. I wish I could have warned Ester - but I had no idea, apart from that feeling of uneasiness!

The same thing happened in Prague - but of course - I was pick pocketed TWICE in the one year I was there - Both times I felt like something was wrong - and of course I had been robbed!
I really feel like someone up there is looking out for me and keeping me safe on my travels! Im feeling so so so grateful and thankful and lucky at the moment!!! It could have been both of us! So to whoever is up there looking after me - a BIG THANK YOU!!!
It's also a wake up call for me - even though I have been very careful - especially since people have told me that iPhones are at high risk of being stolen here. I try and not use it as often, apart from the pictures of course, and keep it tucked away at the back of my bag, and alway keep my bag where I can see it - still - I some times feel like the city is so safe and nothing will ever happen to me - but this really is an alarm bell going off - something can happen - and it did!!! I was just lucky I didn't lose anything and we are both safe!

I wish I could write about the rest of my day today, coz really, it was lovely - but I can't seem to shake off the feeling of what happened after! Even though nothing happened to me - Im still a bit shaken up!
And oh man- whatever they put on us - GROSSSSSSS!!! It was so foul smelling, I had to bathe twice over to get the smell off me, and I feel like I can still smell it!!!! Eeeeeeekkkkkkkk!!!!

Despite all the drama - I am going to miss BsAs terribly!!! It's my last week here, and i'm having separation pangs already!!!
It's all been so easy, and so comfortable and so amazing - and there's still SO MUCH to explore and discover, I really hope I can come back sometime very very very soon!!!

From a slightly shaken up, but still very happy girl in BsAs - Chau! 

No comments: