24 Jan 2013

Tango y mas tango!

Aprender a tango fue tan divertido!!! (Learning to Tango was so much fun!!!)
We went to a great place call La Catedral. It's an old factory that has been converted into a Milonga place in down town BsAs. It has GREAT character, and some (like always) crazy murals and wall art! But what I really liked, was that it wasn't a 'commercial' tango place. There was no Tango show, just porteƱos and tourists alike, dancing the Tango, with none of the formalities of a class or show.
I had a great teacher- Alejandro is a software engineer who likes to Tango in his free time- and he was AMAZING!!!! Very patient with a first time learner, and a very good instructor - instructing without being overbearing! It was lovely!
There was so much great energy in the room, and everyone really kicking back and enjoying themselves- great vibe!

It's a school night, so we left early (2:45am)!!! But im sure all of us could have kept dancing! :-)
It's a very serious and melancholic dance. The music more so actually -
The band that was playing and the singer were awesome - very moving - VERY sad. And the singer had the perfect voice - I guess that's why he sings with the band! :-)
I wish I had recorded some of the music - it was so beautiful!


New friends

Dinner party at home
Tango in La Catedral


Learning to Tango

The Tango Band

More dancing

Eze & Gonzalo attempting to Tango

Un Carazon roto!

Art on the walls of La Catedral


Art on the walls of La Catedral



















The above was from last night-
I stopped writing half way through it, as I was exhausted and almost dropping to sleep on my computer!

I cooked some Indian food for some the friends here - even though I didn't have all the ingredients - I think I did a decent job. Everyone seemed to like it a lot! So, that's all that counts!
And again, even though the language was a slight problem - the love and affection transcends all barriers, and comes through no matter what! We had such a fun evening - it felt like I knew these guys forever! They're all so lovely!!! I wish I could bring them all back with me! Of course, they want me to stay here - and needless to say, the temptation is huge! But many places to go, many places to see - But i do know now, that I HAVE to come back soon, and see the rest of the country, which I haven't been able to do on this trip.

Even though I'm saying this myself - but I think I made 2 great decisions with this trip - 1. To do a structured activity like going to school, rather than just traveling around. And 2. To rent an apartment, and LIVE here.
I got home early from school today, and went for a long walk in the neighbourhood park/playground/neighbourhood 'adda'. Just being there, seeing life happen in this small residential area, away from all the 'tourists', I really felt like I belonged! Old women sitting and chatting while their dogs run around, a percussion band rehearsing, kids playing football, people running, exercising, a boy teaching a girl to play a guitar - it really made me happy that I get to see a side a of the city that many visitors will never see and will never know!

Pablo, our teacher, asked us in class today, if we have a routine here in BsAs, I was the only one with a 'routine', or a semblance of one at least, and I'm really happy about that.
I feel more comfortable here, than I've ever felt while traveling anywhere! Maybe it's this very reason of 'living'  in a place that lends itself to a familiarity (maybe a false one, but nonetheless). My attitude is completely different - If I don't get to see something on  a particular day, I have no regrets, i'll see it some other day, some other time. There's no urgency to do anything (apart from getting to school on time - which is a real challenge!) or be anywhere. Im happy to just wander and stumble upon things, or not.
Week 3 is almost coming to an end, and im dreading next week - the whole cycle will start again - pack - close up a house - travel arrangements - taking a long flight - arriving in a new country - new city - readjust - realign - restart!
Im already beginning to feel a tad sad about leaving - but im looking forward to Colombia and having Dada travel with me! We haven't traveled together in years (since we were maybe 15 and 11), so this should be fun!

It's a very still and very humid night here in BsAs, and nights like these really make me nostalgic and melancholic - this time - about Bombay, and the good times i've had on this trip! I haven't done anything spectacular, but I feel like i've lived out a whole different lifetime here!
I really really really hope to make it back here someday very soon!

Buenos Noches!

P.S - Buenos Aires literally means 'Good Air', and honestly, there's something in the air here that makes me very happy!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hola sobrina!

todas las fotographias muy bonita!
tu debe encontrar un argentanian como su novio! si??

so you are off to another country eh? good for you... I am glad that Anshuman is going to join you?

isfrutar de sus viajes

abrazos.
Tia

Unknown said...

No Novioa Tia! Having too much fun on my own! ;-)

Anonnymouse said...

This is, hands down, your loveliest post yet. And the pictures!

Unknown said...

Thank You Boogie! But who are you? PM?